Friday, March 20, 2009

Natural or Novelty

Amazing to me that the United States has made a most natural daily occurance around the world into a novelty for talk shows and debates. Michelle Obama, the First lady has decided to plant a vegetable garden in the White House yard. And now news pundits are debating, can "normal" people plant gardens and eat vegetables. Mrs Obama, to her credit, is having to justify and explain that fresh grown peas and tomatos taste better.

I can imagine trying to have this conversation in India with my relatives:

Me: I think fresh vegetables taste better than frozen, canned or otherwise altered ones
Relative: um, yes. That is why we buy our vegetables fresh for each days' meals
Me: And kids should know that vegetables and herbs come from the earth and can be grown
Relative: um, yes....the children see the farmers growing their crops in the fields along the main roads
Me: and people are healthier if they eat fresh food
Relative: ah, yeah....that is why there are less obese children here

pause and then I can hear the whispers....."I don't know what happened to her; she went to America when she was very young; maybe they live in some uncivilized concrete jungle; I feel sorry for her, maybe she never saw a garden; poor thing, they said she went to a good college"